Thursday, January 22, 2009

Enough is Enough ....

I have been having tons of arguements with a whole host of people about Slum Dog Millionaire. The point of contention has been that I feel/think that it is extremely hyped - up movie ... Ok I am NOT saying that Its not a good movie or that it isnt worth One watch ... Just that its overly hyped and with today's  10 Oscar nomination i m sure the hype creators will just hit the roof ... 
Am I excited about Rahman's nominations damn straight I am... ... but for all those people going "we have done it" ... please reexamine that statement ... We have done nothing ... still the 2nd largest movie industry in the world and the chances of winning a Oscar has always been obscure !!! The few times we haven been nominated has always been when white people have decided to make movies about India --- be it Gandhi or even the Documentary based on child prostitution in Calcutta. This is true for SDM too ...
The one time I was TRULY Truly thrilled was when Lagaan was actually nominated in the FOREIGN language category !!! That time WE had really made it ... 

And please don't think that I am somehow disappointed that INDIA is being portrayed in a wrong light or anything ... Becos I am not ... of course the situations portrayed in the movie are true ... slums exists and crap along with that ... but thats not the point ... the point is ... Its NOT an Over the TOP amazing piece of directorial adventure... decent movie, decent acting along with a decent humour ... along with some creative romanticization of an situation... nothing more nothing less!!! so get over it ... like I have heard enough and more from all u people out there and don't think That I am hating on SDM without any reason  ... cos i am not ... 

And red-taped and rigged awards like the Oscars don't impress me ... a prime example Titanic winning the oscar ... for the first time in a very very very long time the nominations have been quite Left-winged .. with nominations for Milk and such ... even then B. Button got 13 nominations ... so enough said ... 

and finally I would like to mention this ARE "my" opinions ... and I am ENTITLED to them 

No comments: