Thursday, June 26, 2008

The harsh reality of being an eco-warrior


I came across an article today (http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/449534). It spoke about the struggles the environmentally aware are going through today. The article calls these people ECO-WARRIORS--- As soon as i read that i had this inner voice say "my god...athu naan than" ( my inner voices jump between the 2 languages that it is familiar with -- and occasionally thinks also in other non-understandable ones too).
So I thought about this and went into this spiraling thought process of my journey as a Eco-warrior the following are the lists that make me one, and also the next list are the things that dont make me one!
Eco-Warrior
  1. I recycle, reuse and reduce.
  2. I chose to plant 500 trees a day rather than spend the day sitting on my ass!!!
  3. I have spent the last 6 years thinking about the environment in any way possible
  4. I take the TTC ( that is enga oru Pallavan!!!)
  5. I drink organic cofee and eat organic chocolate
  6. I pick up random pieces of garbage on the road, the bus and the subway carts
  7. I think about spending the rest of my life away in a jungle...
  8. I make sure i print double side no matter what !!!
  9. I try and buy local as much as possible
  10. I do not engage in anything that supports the violation of any human rights!!
BUT AT THE SAME TIME
  1. I continue to be a meat eater,
  2. and destroy half the mangroves in thailand by all the shrimp that I do
  3. I spend countless number of hours on with my Computer/TV/Mp3 player / digital camera
  4. I still cannot convince my dad that the environment is giving way!!!!
  5. I chose to work for Sears Catalogue for 3 years --- with all the fat ass catalogues being the primary cause for rain forest lose...
  6. I clothes/jewellry/ shoes/ make up etc when a child in africa dies every minute with proper food...
  7. I chose to eat more or waste food .... once again depriving another soul of its survival
  8. Squish the ants that roam around in my house
  9. Continue to be in school -- where i have to write pointless things and print it out on paper
  10. Sit through conservation meetings and look at the 300 page brief that was sent to all 25 members of the board!!! and countless other things ....
But still i have hope, i wake in the morning and say here I am yet another Planet Saver!!! let me start by using only one cup of water, let me take a shower in half a bucket of water, use only 5 squares of toilet paper for the whole day, buy local, plant yet another thousand trees ...I struggle therefore I am .....( the glorious image of an eco-warrior)

No comments: